It’s easy to be bamboozled by the cool factor of eWAY’s funky offices. The payment gateway company that started in Canberra in 2000 features a massive server behind a glass case in its reception area, complete with flashing lights, neat webs of cables, and numerous things that likely go ‘ping’ when activated. There is plenty of bright yellow, comfy modern furniture, collaborative spaces with writeable whiteboards, the “Everything is Awesome” Lego posters, the open, sunlit kitchen lounge area, the massive coveted beer fridge, the internet cafe and then there’s the big screen displays in the main hub area. Multiple TV screens show in real time the number of global customers, what the staff are doing (on a customer call, away from the desk, do not disturb), customer response times.
It reminds me of Wall Street. Or the launch room for intergalactic space travel. It’s busy, focused, and forward.
But office space does not make the culture; it merely facilitates and reinforces it. In this conversation with CEO and Founder, Matt Bullock and Chief Revenue Officer, Sheryle Moon, reveal how they keep on track – with culture, with progress, with global expansion of a Canberra-born and based company.
Listen now: (32.45 minutes)
Having trouble viewing the player? Try this link instead.
Some key take-aways:
- How you maintain a happy, dynamic workplace in the volatile, fierce industry where SPEED and CHANGE are de rigueur.
- How to go from a start up tech company of one code writer (Matt) to a global company in multiple markets with 50 + staff (and growing) – in just over a decade.
- Matt’s key personal mantra of “Never, never give up” and the power of ‘why’.
- The key word that drives the entire corporate culture and company philosophy, from recruitment through to strategy through to key performance indicators.
- The key factor that allows for innovation and lift in a market with constant change.
- Collaborative leadership in action for prioritising innovation.