Managing Director Kate Prior shares her secrets to maintaining a vibrant, unique work culture in a very competitive industry. Listen to the interview now: (24 minutes)
Her key tips include:
- Start by knowing what you want the culture to be like first – your staff won’t know unless you do.
- Build your culture based on your company values. Face To Face has theirs listed on their website, and one of them includes LAUGHTER (a gang right after my own heart).
- Integrate your values across your processes, especially in your recruitment strategies.
- For Kate, articulating the company values into remuneration has become a key difference in her service: her staff are recruitment consultants, they work on salary, not commissions, so the best interest of applicants and employers are always front and centre.
- It’s the little things that count: little rituals like the “Pig” award for silly gaffes, stalking each other around the office to see who you can surprise the most, employment anniversary lunches with carefully selected individual gifts.
- Incentives do not have to be monetary; in fact, many staff are turned off by financial rewards. Being creative in inspiring motivating staff is key. Kate keeps her team engaged with special projects, unique to each person, so that they get to work on what interest them, and they feel empowered and connected to the organisation.
- Recognition is critical for good healthy culture. Not just from the manager, but also it’s important to create a culture where the staff acknowledge team members. Internally Face to Face has a term called “good job”. Each team member knows exactly what that means. Kate may say “good job” to them in front of others, but she always follows it up with an email to the team saying why it was such a “good job”. By sending it in an email form, it formalises it a little more and makes sure that all team members are aware of the recognition. Recognition is one of the key motivators for staff and it doesn’t cost anything.
Read more about this great Canberra company here: (click on logo) www.f2frecruitment.com.au